The Center for Neurotechnology (CNT) at the University of Washington sponsors a five day “YSP-REACH” program on the Seattle Campus during the summer. High school students receive an introduction to neuroscience and neural engineering, neuroethics, scientific communication, and the latest developments in brain-computer interfaces. Participants have the opportunity to tour CNT partner labs in departments including Computer Science and Electrical Engineering. The goal is to provide students with exposure to the field of neural engineering and provide basic preparation for college studies in STEM subjects as well as future STEM careers. The program is well suited for students interested in a STEM career, with a specific interest in neural engineering and neuroscience.
The 2020 YSP-REACH program will be offered twice. YSP-REACH 1 will be held July 6-10, 2020, and YSP-REACH 2 will be held July 20-24, 2020. Applications for the 2020 summer YSP-REACH program are now available. The application process is competitive. While we consider a number of factors when choosing students for the program, we highly encourage student applicants from our partner schools: Cleveland, Franklin, and Chief Sealth High Schools within Seattle Public Schools. The cost of the YSP-REACH program will be $500 per student; scholarships are available for students with financial need.
- Complete the online application. Deadline is midnight on February 21, 2020.
- Be a high school student. (Graduating seniors can also apply.)
- Attend all required lectures, seminars, focus groups, tours, class sessions and workshops.
- Commit to full program participation. You may not enroll in classes or hold other jobs during the day. Participants will not receive academic credit.
- Live locally or find your own housing and find transportation to the University of Washington.
What participants will receive:
- An opportunity to learn about cutting-edge neural technologies as well as research and career options.
- Access to lectures and hands-on activities focused on neuroscience, neural engineering, neuroethics, communications, laboratory safety and other relevant topics.
- Frequently Asked Questions about the YSP program.
- In the online application, you will need to upload your high school transcript. You will also designate someone who will provide a reference. When you submit your application, an email will automatically be generated, inviting that person to complete an online reference form. We do not accept letters of reference sent by mail or email. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Questions? Please contact Dr. Eric Chudler, the CNT's Education Director .